Pacifica (autumnwinds) wrote,

  • Mood:

Wedding Frippery (Thursday)

I started off the day with a pedicure, courtesy of my Mom, which was really nice. Immediately afterwards, we left for a haircut/style appointment. I needed a trim badly, and we also wanted to mess around with style ideas for the wedding.

The washing and trimming was pretty standard, but because Kim was going to style my hair, she decided to blow dry it. I never have Kim blow dry my hair (because I don't care if my hair is wet), and I never dry it myself because I can't be bothered. I take my shower in the evening, towel-dry a little, go to bed with wet hair, and it's mostly dry by morning.

Well, Kim discovered that day that my hair does NOT like to be blow dried. It's very thick and fine, and the process of drying and fluffing, which was intended to make it loose and curly, turned it into a poof well worthy of the 1980's. Kim desperately tried to tame it, but with limited success. Well, lesson learned.

The style we liked the best was a very simple crown of braids over my tiara, with some loose curls down my back. I wound up with massive Ren Faire Haire...blonde, big, curly, loose, and windswept looking. If I have hair like that on my wedding day, I'll need to ride down the aisle on a unicorn.

After the hair, Mom and I decided to drive down to Gold Bar to get a better idea of the town. I wanted to know if there was a good grocery store nearby if we needed ice or something (yes), and if there was a craft store if we needed balloons or more decorations on short notice (yes). I also wanted to scout out potential places for pretty pictures of Tyler and I off-site. We asked around and found a nice spot with river access, just two miles east of town. It has a little sandy beach on the Skykomish, with blue river rocks and a pretty backdrop of mountains and an old train trestle. I think it's good photography fodder, spadoink.

The interesting thing was that because I had another wedding dress fitting that night (the lining layer, and the first fitting with the real wedding dress fabric), I wanted to keep my hair in the style we'd played with that morning. So I pumped gas in Gold Bar, walked by the river, and meandered through the craft store in my sparkly jewels, big hair, and tiara. I looked like I'd escaped from a pageant.

While Mom and I were in the craft store, being idle, I came around a corner and something immediately grabbed my attention: an arch trellis. It was made of metal pipes, but painted to look like bamboo (pretty convincing from a distance). It was pretty and graceful-looking, and I thought it would be perfect as a wedding arch...just put some flowers and cedar branches on it. I put it on hold.

Traffic was getting bad, so it took Mom and I a little while to get home. As soon as we got back, I hopped in my car and drove to Carolyn's for the second fitting. The dress looked pretty good, although it's very early. Carolyn had also redone the embroidery design on the bodice for me. Her original design had been a colonial design of berries and vines with some clumpy fleur-de-lis that I didn't much like. When I paged through her design book, I came upon a design of lily of the valley. Not only was it prettier and more natural looking, but lily of the valley is my birthflower and I love it. Carolyn had redone the sketch in just a couple of days and I loved it.

I think that was it for Thursday.
Tags: wedding

  • (no subject)

    Tyler and I had an adventure with the water line last week. This is a normal part of the winter process, it's just fast and stressful when it…

  • (no subject)

    Cut for way, way TMI regarding gastrointestinal stuff. So, I've been on Facebook a lot lately. Being able to update people on my life in a…

  • (no subject)

    I mentioned earlier that I've been having unusually creative and vivid dreams for the past month or so, especially noticeable because I remember them…

  • Post a new comment


    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic