Pacifica (autumnwinds) wrote,

  • Mood:

Last-minute stuff (Friday)

None of the stuff I did today was planned more than 24 hours in advance, so I felt a bit frantic today.

I was awakened by a phone call from Tyler, because we needed to talk about his job propositions for the summer. He had more than one offer, and because it meant we'd be living in different places, we spent a lot of time discussing the pros and cons, and what it meant for the future. We finally made a decision, but that's for him to share.

Immediately after, Mom and I had a tax appointment. I was officially booted from my dependent status for the year 2006, because I turned 24. Luckily, my taxes are pretty simple, and Miranda was happy that I've been contributing to my IRA. Good stuff.

We went home, and then I got right back in the car alone. I dropped off a package at the UPS place for Dad, and then headed off to an appointment with a second caterer. I wasn't impressed with the food we tried from the other caterer on Tuesday, so I decided to meet with another one, and this one already had several recommendations behind her.

I liked this caterer much better. She was much more professional, meeting me in her office (attached to the kitchen) instead of a Starbucks. This caterer would also bring all the rental stuff (linens, dishes) themselves, along with the food, rather than having a rental company deliver them separately the day before and pick up the day after (much more expensive). Interesting twist: caterer #1 showed me prices that showed the china/glass flatware being 10x more expensive than plastic ($5 vs. $0.50). Caterer #2 showed me prices that said the china/glass flatware costing exactly the same as the plastic.


Caterer #2 promised to talk to the cooks and come up with some good vegetarian suggestions. Both caterers are now writing me a proposal, so I'm curious to hear what they come up with.

Stopped by Sky Nursery on the way home to see if they had trellises made from real bamboo. No dice.

When we got home, I bundled Mom into the car and we went to a doctor appointment. Mom's been having bad back pain for several weeks and it just ballooned into something exponentially worse today. The doctor prescribed some muscle relaxants, and some painkillers if we needed them. I hope they work.

On the way back, we took Dad's elephant jar to the coin-counting machine. Dad saves all his change in a glass jar that looks like an elephant, and he said I could have the money if I took it in. I'd avoided it in the past ever since they started charging steep fees (9%), but upon looking closer, I found out that they don't charge fees if you pick a gift certificate instead of cash. I picked an Amazon gift certificate, and between Dad's coins and my own two stashes (a dish in my bedroom at home, and a salsa jar I'd been filling since my first year of college), I made over $100 for free books. Wheeeee!

Went to the pharmacy, pretended to be Mom, got her perscriptions. Went home and relaxed for the rest of the evening. Mom and I tried to watch Monsoon Wedding, but lost interest. Oh well.

  • (no subject)

    Tyler and I had an adventure with the water line last week. This is a normal part of the winter process, it's just fast and stressful when it…

  • (no subject)

    Cut for way, way TMI regarding gastrointestinal stuff. So, I've been on Facebook a lot lately. Being able to update people on my life in a…

  • (no subject)

    I mentioned earlier that I've been having unusually creative and vivid dreams for the past month or so, especially noticeable because I remember them…

  • Post a new comment


    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic