Pacifica (autumnwinds) wrote,

Yesterday was mail day in the backcountry.

6 miles upstream at Cabin Creek, a forest service employee got his weekly food delivery, which is always delivered in cardboard boxes. When he finished unpacking the food, he burned the boxes. However, it was a very windy day, and the fire quickly escaped. The bucket of water he had in case of emergency wasn't enough.

At 2:00 yesterday, our rattlesnake researcher radioed down to draw our attention to a smoke plume over the ridge to the north. We called the forest supervisor and learned about the fire origins, and were told that the fire was now at 150 acres. We had an emergency all-hands meeting at 9:30 last night, in which we discussed our situation here, and also had a conference call with the forest supervisor. By that time, the fire had grown to 700 acres.

It is now 9:15 AM. The sky is a murky gray, and the fire has grown to 1,000 acres. Nobody is really worried about the fire coming here, but the Forest Service is sending some equipment and a fire crew to us to help with structure protection if that comes up. I am currently waiting in the front yard for the Forest Service to drop eight smokejumpers on our airstrip. We are also evacuating visitors and stopping all incoming visits. The students are okay; they won't be here for much longer anyway.

That is the news. I will update more as conditions change.

  • (no subject)

    Tyler and I had an adventure with the water line last week. This is a normal part of the winter process, it's just fast and stressful when it…

  • (no subject)

    Cut for way, way TMI regarding gastrointestinal stuff. So, I've been on Facebook a lot lately. Being able to update people on my life in a…

  • (no subject)

    I mentioned earlier that I've been having unusually creative and vivid dreams for the past month or so, especially noticeable because I remember them…

  • Post a new comment


    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic