Pacifica (autumnwinds) wrote,

Cut for way, way TMI regarding gastrointestinal stuff.

So, I've been on Facebook a lot lately. Being able to update people on my life in a sentence or less is kinda addictive, I admit. But I still check my LJ every day and I'm not abandoning it by any means. I guess I just haven't had the time to post anything longer lately.

(hi guys!)

Anyway, if you read my FB, you'll know that I had food poisoning last week. At least, I think I had food poisoning. It started on Sunday night with a feeling of uncomfortable fullness and a terrible stomachache. Diarrhea, stomachache, and no appetite on Monday. Plus, I was cold, achy, and exhausted. Huge thirst on Monday night, so I got up in the middle of the night, drank a glass of water, and promptly vomited five times.

On Tuesday, my stomach still hurt, just less. Diarrhea continued. Still no appetite, basically ate nothing.

On Wednesday, my stomach felt almost recovered. Diarrhea continued. Appetite slightly improved.

On Thursday, I went back to work. The diarrhea was gone, and I felt like I was on the mend. Except that now it's a week later and I'm still not better.

My stomach still has a dull ache to it most of the time. Oddly, and somewhat embarrassingly, my stomach also feels like it's full of air, because I am belching almost CONSTANTLY. I still have almost no appetite, and if I eat more than a third of what I usually eat, I feel so full that I can barely sleep at night. I guess that's not too remarkable if my stomach shrunk while I was sick and not eating, but I thought I'd be better by now.

I originally pegged what I had as food poisoning. My last two bouts with it were accompanied by massive vomiting, which rid me of enough of the toxin that the problem only lasted 24 hours. However, my mom once had food poisoning (with me) where she didn't ingest enough of the toxin to vomit at all, and just felt crappy for a week because everything had to go the long way around, which is what I thought I had. Except that it's been 10 days and I'm still not recovered.

I briefly thought that it might have been Giardia, in case I accidentally swallowed some water while swimming. But I've only vomited in that one instance, and overall my illness hasn't been that crushing. If it was Giardia, I wouldn't have gotten any better, and I also would have had to fly out by now.

The only other thing I could think of is that I magically became lactose intolerant overnight. I've been drinking slightly more milk than usual lately, and based on what I know of the symptoms, lactose intolerance might explain all the air in my system. But that's an awfully fast onset...I've been drinking milk every day this summer without a problem.

What I really need to do is go to a doctor, which I can't do for at least two more weeks, realistically three. I know I can't diagnose this over the internet; I mostly just feel like crap and wanted to get on my LJ and whine about it for a minute.

  • (no subject)

    Tyler and I had an adventure with the water line last week. This is a normal part of the winter process, it's just fast and stressful when it…

  • (no subject)

    I mentioned earlier that I've been having unusually creative and vivid dreams for the past month or so, especially noticeable because I remember them…

  • The Green Fairy Book

    When I was little, I used to have a favorite book at my Nana's house. It was a green hardback, and it was crammed with fairy tales...but really…

  • Post a new comment


    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic